The NTrainer System is an FDA listed device that promotes early development of essential sucking skills in premature infants. Administered either during gavage feeding sessions or before breast or bottle feeding sessions, the easy-to-use cribside system includes a unique pulsating pacifier that trains infants non-nutritive suck, building an important skill linked to faster transitions to oral feeding(1-5), more rapid weight gain (6 - 7),
and shorter hospital stays (8 - 11)
Develops Essential Sucking Skills
- By training infants non-nutritive suck
• Uses a unique pulsating pacifier to convert disorganized and dysfunctional infant sucking patterns to proper ones
• Administered during gavage feeding to develop the skills and provide the attention and care infants would normally associate with oral feeding
Designed for Ease of Use
- To support the needs of busy NICU staff
• Requires normal/standard medical expertise and only a few hours of training to operate, enabling NICUs the flexibility to assign operating responsibilities to anyone on their staff
• Simplifies interpretation and reporting through easy-to-use quantitative indicators and graphical results display
• Includes a portable unit and a simple pacifier handpiece that can be given to the infant in a cradled position or inside the isolette
Safe and Effective
- Received FDA 510(k) clearance to market as a Class II device
• Listed by the FDA for an indicated use of reinforcing non-nutritive suck in newborns and infants born prematurely
• Safe for use in NICU environments, as demonstrated in multiple clinical studies
For Hospitals and NICUs
•Improve quality of care: Studies have shown that the non-nutritive suck (NNS) capabilities the NTrainer System® develops can lead to earlier transition to oral feeding (1 - 5) and more rapid weight gain( 6 - 7), enabling hospitals to promote infant growth and development while reducing stress on patients and their families.
• Lower patient costs: Improving non-nutritive suck has also been linked to significant reductions in hospital length of stay (8 - 11) , resulting in a lower cost of care.
For Research Institutions
• Lead breakthrough research in infant feeding: With the NTrainer System® research institutions have the opportunity to provide valuable new insight into premature infant feeding, such as the impact of Non-Nutritive Suck on neurological development, weight gain, speech, cost of care, or other variables.
• Validate theories with consistent, reliable data: By establishing a quantitative measure of infant non-nutritive suck, the NTrainer System provides a valuable tool for researchers as they establish and test their theories on infant feeding.16
• Improve consistency: The NTrainer System provides a quantitative measure of feeding readiness, enabling NICU clinicians to more objectively communicate the infant’s status.
• Maintain productivity: Designed for busy NICU staff, the NTrainer System is portable and easy to use - requiring normal/standard medical expertise and only a few hours of training to operate.
• Promote quality of care: The NTrainer System enables clinicians to administer valuable therapy during gavage feeding (as well as before breast or bottle feeding) while providing the attention and care infants would normally receive with oral feeding.